ContentSproute

Carlos Alcaraz Stumps Garbiñe Muguruza With ‘Strange’ Timing Regarding Juan Carlos Ferrero Split thumbnail

Carlos Alcaraz Stumps Garbiñe Muguruza With ‘Strange’ Timing Regarding Juan Carlos Ferrero Split

Garbiñe Muguruza did not hide her surprise after learning about Carlos Alcaraz’s decision to end his long-standing partnership with Juan Carlos Ferrero, admitting there was something genuinely “strange” about the timing of the move. The former world No. 1 questioned why a player sitting at the very top of the sport would choose to change when results suggest everything is working.

Garbiñe Muguruza Expresses Shock Over the Timing of Carlos Alcaraz’s Coaching Split

The split sent shockwaves through the tennis world due to the close connection between Alcaraz and Ferrero, which had been evident since 2018. Alcaraz joined Ferrero’s academy as a teenager, and over the next seven years, their partnership became one of the defining coach-player relationships of the modern era.

Under Ferrero’s guidance, Alcaraz rose from Futures and Challengers to the ATP Tour spotlight, broke through in 2021 with his first ATP title in Umag, reached the US Open quarterfinals, and won the Next Gen ATP Finals. That rapid ascent only accelerated.

Alcaraz captured the US Open title in 2022 to become the youngest World No. 1 in history, added a Wimbledon crown in 2023 and a French Open title in 2024, and built a résumé that includes six Grand Slam titles, eight Masters 1000 trophies, and multiple stints atop the ATP rankings. Against that backdrop, the decision to change direction naturally raised eyebrows.

That sense of disbelief was at the heart of Muguruza’s reaction. Speaking on Spanish radio El Larguero, she said her first response was shock, openly wondering why the decision was made now. “A lot, a lot. I think everyone [was surprised], why?” Muguruza said. “Because Carlos is the world number one, right?”

MORE: Carlos Alcaraz Criticized by Former Pro for Straying from the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic Blueprint Jannik Sinner Follows

She went on to underline how unusual the timing felt, noting that Alcaraz had just finished a season as the top-ranked player while piling up titles and major trophies. “What better season can he have than the one he’s had, finishing as world number one, winning eight tournaments, Grand Slams,” she said. “It’s rare to make a change in such a good moment, no? When things are working, you don’t tend to change. So yes, very surprised, eager to know more.”

What Were the Real Reasons Behind Alcaraz and Ferrero’s Split?

Muguruza also stressed that coaching changes usually follow struggles, not triumphs. “But it always comes from a not-so-good moment, not when you’re winning and you’re the world number one. That’s what’s strange, that’s why.”

Alcaraz confirmed on December 17 that he and Ferrero had mutually decided to split. Despite the high-profile nature of the move, his setup remained largely intact, with longtime Ferrero associate Samuel López continuing to handle day-to-day coaching duties.

Reports suggested the separation was linked to contract talks and differing long-term views rather than results, with speculation about revised terms and internal dynamics. However, no details were confirmed, and both sides described the parting as amicable.

Read More

Scroll to Top