DK Metcalf’s suspension for conduct detrimental to the league for his altercation with a fan on Sunday voided some guarantees in his contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, but don’t expect them to move on from him anytime soon. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported they have been in contact and “both sides are moving forward together.”
“DK Metcalf’s $45 million in guarantees void as a result of his two-game suspension — but sources say the Steelers have already reaffirmed their commitment to Metcalf for 2026 and beyond,” Pelissero wrote.
DK Metcalf’s $45 million in guarantees void as a result of his two-game suspension — but sources say the Steelers have already reaffirmed their commitment to Metcalf for 2026 and beyond. Both sides are moving forward together. pic.twitter.com/eRLA00ryxC
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) December 24, 2025
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Gerry Dulac is reporting the same.
The guaranteed $25 million in Metcalf’s contract that is automatically voided because of the suspension is no big deal. He will still receive the $25 million because the Steelers have no intention of moving on from him in 2026, per sources.
— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) December 24, 2025
This is not a big surprise given what Mike Tomlin told the media in his Tuesday press conference earlier today. While he made clear he doesn’t condone that behavior, he said he supports DK Metcalf. When asked why he is showing support, Tomlin summed it up by praising his character on and off the field.
“He’s been great. He cares, he works hard, he’s a heck of a guy. He’s a good teammate, and that’s why he’s easy to support,” Tomlin said.
Despite voided guarantees, some of them were just injury guarantees. It wouldn’t have been a clean financial break for the two sides if the Steelers decided they wanted to move on. Check out our Dave Bryan’s full explanation for more information.
Quick note about the voiding of guarantees on the DK Metcalf contract: For starters, the 2026 base salary of $25 million was the only remaining fully guaranteed portion of the contract. His 2027 base salary of $20 million was guaranteed for injury only.
So, yes, the Steelers…
— Steelers Depot 7⃣ (@Steelersdepot) December 23, 2025
The Steelers used a second-round pick to acquire Metcalf and subsequently moved on from George Pickens, largely because of his maturity issues on and off the field. It’s ironic, if not unfortunate, that Metcalf is now suspended for this type of incident, but this shouldn’t completely overshadow his character throughout the rest of the year. He has been a consummate professional in Pittsburgh so far. Even Aaron Rodgers, who isn’t shy about calling out teammates, has praised him in that way.
The long-term extension he signed following the trade in March ties him to the team through 2029. There is never any guarantee of a player lasting that long on a contract, but we can pretty confidently say he will be here in 2026 and beyond for the foreseeable future.